Today flashing back a few years to my first with Bree Addams back in 2011. Great location and great model.
Continuing to show some film work with these scans of Freya Gallows on B&W film from back in April. We’d planned to work outdoors, but the threat of rain ended up with us moving into the studio instead for this work. Same day as the earlier posted work with her and Bree Addams together.
I like how these worked. The limitations in my scanner showed up here though as the roll was a bit unevenly exposed from I think a mix of expired film and me experimenting with lighting. Overall I find these Kodak TriX 400 works well for me. The grain is there, but doesn’t overwhelm. It also seems to work nicely outdoors and in the studio.
As I mentioned this roll of film had expired a few months before the shoot. They were also among the first batch of work I developed myself as opposed to sending away to a lab. As the other roll developed with this one (last week’s of Vex Voir) didn’t show the uneven exposure these did. I credit that to the film being expired, and really not well treated given I bought the roll (along with a few others) out of a bin in the sun at a flea market.
I’ve decided to get back to posting with some of my film work from this year. I’m fairly new to film having only started shooting late last year, and really not that seriously until the early months of this year. During the winter months I did some workshops and courses with a fairly nearby community darkroom to learn to develop and print my own work. I’m enjoying the development process, but am fully in love with printing from film.
So today some scanned film from my work with Vex Voir back in early May. We had the chance to get outdoors earlier this year and try a semi-new location. I’ve been here before, but together we tracked down a new waterfall location that had eluded me in the past, though no film work there. This work came in a quiet off trail area I’d not used before.
A few random observations from the last few weeks.
- Most people are wonderfully understanding and supportive when you’re dealing with life. It’s easy to focus on the jerks, but there are truly a lot of wonderful people in the world.
- Finding a coffee shop when you just need a couple quiet hours away from things can work wonders for your mind.
- It’s surprising how many places contain a Starbucks. Or serve Starbucks coffee. Or are within walking distance of a Starbucks. Or are a Starbucks.
- On a related note I feel like I’ve run most of the last month on coffee.
- You probably wouldn’t be surprised that many hospital/doctor type places block ModelMayhem where you can encounter the occasional nude. You might be a little surprised that those that did block it classified it as swimwear. You might be very surprised to fin that fewer block Tumblr where you can easily find explicit adult content. Please explain that one to me.
Baring the unexpected, and that’s really been a description of the last month and a half, more normal posting should resume later this week.